banking journeys to help people better manage their money.
When I first joined the Mobile App team at Metro Bank the majority of the projects were three week sprints to redesign small journeys intended as minor fixes; I then moved on to working on longer projects. In order to showcase as much of the work that I did as possible Ive split this case study into two sections. Section 1: Smaller projects & Section 2: 1 large project where I go more in depth in all the research findings and development work.
Ive tried to showcase as much of my work as I can in this case study. The first part of the case study outlines a few smaller projects I worked on and the second part examines a longer project I was part of.
SMALLER PROJECTS SHOWCASE
When I first joined the Mobile App team at Metro Bank the majority of the projects were three week sprints to redesign part of a small journey intended as minor fix on the app; I then moved on to working on longer projects. Ive tried to showcase as much of my work as I can in this case study. The first part of the case study outlines a few smaller projects I worked on and the second part examines a longer project I was part of.
Present findings from research
Liaise with UI designer
Below are some of the projects that I ran using the aforementioned process.
Set up a new payee
Redesigning our create new payee journey. feedback from user interviews during the project led to a cool new feature where if the user searched for a payee that they had not yet set up they would have a call to action to jump straight into the setup new payee flow. Below is the finalised journey:
New IA for business & retail banking customers
As part of a much larger project which I worked on for three months - A redesign of our applications information architecture. Below is the finalised design solution of the IA
Notifications centre: A redesign of our notifications centre to allow the user more control over how, when and why the application notifies them of something. During user interviews I discovered that their is a thin line between notifications being annoying and very needed. Notifications of updates on the application can be annoying but being notified of a transaction on your account can be a great security measure especially because you can freeze your card easily via our application. Interestingly some users I spoke to wanted to be notified of transactions over a given amount - for some this amount was £5, for others £250. After reviewing and analysing the user interview transcripts it was clear to me that what our users wanted was as much control as possible. Below is a wireframe from the project and a visual it later turned into.
After a couple of months in the role I began sitting in on the mobile product roadmap management meetings and noticed that none of our upcoming projects had been validated with any sort of user feedback. I mentioned this to the product manager and though there was some resistance to begin with I convinced him to allow me to do some research to see what our users thought .
We don't know what our users think about our app or the features we intend to build.
I spent half a day planning the research and decided I wanted to get as broad a view as possible of what our users thought. I did this by getting as many data points as possible.
Static data analysis
27 User Interviews
Internal Data analysis
38 interviews with call centre associates
2 Site visits
User interviews and analysis always work the same way for me, I go in thinking I'm sure I know what I will hear and I always come out learning entirely new things about our users and the way they use the app.
Here are some slides from the deck that I produced to present my findings to the Product manager and other stakeholders around the bank.
A particularly interesting story I heard while talking to a retail & business banking customer at one of the Metro Bank branches was about how he had come to the store to get a new card because his card was stolen on a business trip to China. He then told me about how the person who stole his card was able to withdraw in excess of $3000 before our customer had time to get in touch with Metro bank and block his card. When I then asked why he had not blocked his card using the application he said he wasn't aware that you could block your card on the application.
" Wait, you can do that on the app?"
So I looked into it and started asking other users what they would do if they had lost their card and found a high proportion had no idea that they could block their card on their phone via the app. After a lot of thinking and testing I figured out that this was because the feature was hidden behind a swipe action on the account card - I't wasn't obvious to users where it was and so they didn't know it existed.
So we redesigned the home page to include the buttons below the card where they would be more evident and where it would be difficult for the user to miss them. Below are a few frames to show the design as it evolved through testing from a wireframe to a visual.
Thank you for reading my case study of my time working on the mobile banking app at Metro bank please contact me if you have any questions or if you would like to discuss this project more in depth.